Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Tension

In crochet, tension is how tight or loose your stitches are. Experienced crocheters have control over the amount of tension they use when creating their items. Beginners tend to have very tight tension. I even read once that the same pattern can come out differently if the crochter is tense when creating their project. I read that and kinda chuckled to myself. I've been doing this awhile. My tension -- I thought -- was pretty controllable...Until this week. I'm currently working on my next craft show, some paid orders and -- well -- I'm a bit stressed. So... I was working on a scarf and the ends started to curl -- not from me holding the edges, but because the tension was too tight. There was no drape to the scarf -- just stiff. Those 'tense' words rang loud in my ear and after a break, I made myself relax and take the death grip off my hook and my scarf started to look much better. So relax my fellow crocheters...it'll all work out in the end!

No comments:

Post a Comment